1/31/12

On Being Present

The other day, we had the opportunity to visit with someone from a different generation- an older, wiser, sort of a generation.

While watching my children read and color, she looked up at me and asked if my kids were going to remember my face.

Taken aback by the question, I set down my iPhone and asked her whatever in the world she meant.

Oh. Right.

"My granddaughter reads all these things on the interweb about raising kids, and she writes about her life on the computer for everyone to read, and she's on that i-thing you have, just like you, all the time.  I just wonder if you're all raising your children from behind those things.  Are you ever really present?"

Well.....shoot.  That's a pretty good question.

I know that my kids are happier when my phone dies (thanks, Apple, for my junky battery life!) and that they identify their life events and accomplishments as important based on whether or not I put them on Facebook.  But I've gained something from all this mom-technology, too, right?

I'm not so sure.

How do you balance your kids and your technology? Are you teaching a good computer/life balance? I don't think that I am, which is funny from someone who all but bans the television during the school week- but I think I forgot that anything with a plug can be an addiction.

Here's an invitation to presence, starting with me.  I hope you'll come, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment