2/20/13

Guest Post: Switch Up Your Winter Workout

It's about this time that I hear many students say , "I'm bored with my workout and don't have many options". Here is some of what I tell them to beat winter workout boredom and spice up that cardio routine:
-Make a cardio medley by picking three different cardio machines, or circuits, and workout on each for 10 minutes or so. This is a great alternative to just getting on the same machine for a certain length of time.
-Break up your workout by separating them into segments, each with a different focus-speed, incline, resistance, steady state, etc. By changing your workout  every five minutes, you get  variety and,  because you're  focusing on just a few minutes at a time, the workout will fly by.
-Try  something  new.! We  all  have  our  favorite  machines & routines  but  winter is a great time to experiment with something completely different. Challenge yourself to do something new.  When was the last time you tried the rowing machine or the stationary bike at the gym? What about an at home workout?  Moving your  body in  a different way can  rejuvenate  your workouts.
-Try group fitness.  Even  if  you're  not into group fitness classes, giving  one  a try  can  give  you  new  enthusiasm  for your workouts.  Pick up a schedule at your club and make a deal to try one new class every two weeks. You get a lot of energy from working out in a  group,  so take advantage of it!

I have to say, I’ve tried all of these and yet not one is perfect for me.  One day I may feel like taking a class or,in my case, teach a class. Another day, I may turn on some music and create my own “cardio medley” at home or at the gym.  Other times, I may pop in Insanity or Turbo Fire to check working out off of my to do list.

I challenge you to try something different over the next two weeks. Be sure to share your experiences with someone. They may want to give it a try too!   
___________________________________________
Adrienne Vose is a Certified Fitness Trainer, Group Exercise Instructor, dedicated wife & mother of 3. She likes to workout & motivate others to "MOVE IT" and believes that without exercise, people are inhibited from achieving and maintaining their health goals.  
No matter what your fitness goals may be or how hectic life becomes, there is a way to accomplish those goals. As a trainer, her number one priority is to create a routine that works towards your needs and gives you the results that are best for you. "Eat Healthy, Move More & Stress Less" is her motto and she fully believes this is the KEY to a healthy lifestyle. 

This guest blog is presented as an opinion.  Health changes should always be discussed with a doctor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment