2/27/14

30 Acts of Kindness Task 11: The 25th Project

During February, I'm celebrating my 30th Birthday with 30 Acts of Kindness suggested by readers The point of these posts isn't to "brag" about what I've been doing, but rather to raise awareness about different organizations in Prince William County and share how you and your family can get involved in making our area a better place to live.  If you'd like to join me in any of my assignments, or if you participate in one on your own, I'd love to get your picture and/or story to share!! I'd love to think this is making a difference, and I hope that you'll join me!  

Do you like to tailgate? No, seriously, this is a legitimate question.  Why? Because if you do, The 25th Project might be the PERFECT place for you to volunteer your time.  

Organizer Jay Herriot started The 25th Project by handing out meals on Thanksgiving and Christmas with his family.  Since they both happened to fall on the 25th, they decided to keep going, and provide home-cooked meals each month on the 25th.  You can come out with your family and help out this fun organization every month on the 25th.  There is basically zero prep work involved.  You show up (we brought socks, but there's a list of needed items available here), you split into groups, and you hang out in a parking lot and eat some really really tasty soup and chat with people.  More than anything, I've learned as I do this 30 Acts series, people really just want to connect with other people.  


I took my boys (ages 7 and 10) with me, and we had an awesome time.  This isn't a "heavy lifting" type of volunteering, but it's very personal and fun.  

So, here's the process:
1) Check the facebook page.  RSVP that you're coming and if you want to bring some needed items, stop at Walmart on the way.  
2) You're going to meet up with the big group BEHIND Home Depot.  I drove past Kohls and Global Food to the end of the shopping center, and there was obviously a group of people doing something! People meet up starting around 4:15-4:30.
3) Volunteers divide up.  A group stays behind Home Depot, another group heads to Kmart, and another group heads to the shelter.  
4) Chat and help out.  Hand out socks, first aid kits, soup and bread.  Talk about the Redskins.  Talk about whatever.  Be a friend.  It's awesome.
5) Can't actually show up? The 25th Project is a 501c3 and you can donate to them, which helps to pay for things like Propane Tank Refills- so very vital in the cold weather and not cheap!  Mail checks to: 

  The 25th Project
  6908 Sydenstricker Road
  Springfield, VA  22152

No comments:

Post a Comment