11/25/14

Nordstrom Personal Stylist Experience

A couple of weeks ago I was freaking out about needing new clothes.  I have another job that's one of those great paradoxes where it's a very small job, but when there are events for it, there's a good deal of meeting important people or just general face time with the public, and I have just never been one of those people who can look amazing just by waking up in the morning.

In addition to that, I've been a professional mommy for some time now.  When I worked, I worked in Children's Ministry and my required wardrobe was church clothes and/or jeans so I could get down on the floor and play legos.

One does not play legos on the floor in a white jacket.  One does, however, go to meetings in one. Another Hayat pick (blouse, too)

Suddenly, I had a conference to go to and a few info sessions to help run, and I didn't have anything I deemed suitable to wear.  After having a little Facebook panic, a friend suggested I schedule a shopping trip with a Nordstrom's stylist. It's free, it's easy, and there's not a minimum purchase, although they are paid off commission, so they certainly don't mind if you want to buy it all.

I picked an appointment with Hayat Ali out of Dulles Town Center, who was a lot of fun.  Prior to the appointment I indicated my size, what I do, type of things I was looking for, and she had an entire dressing room ready to go.  What I liked, we kept, what I didn't was whisked away.  When I needed new sizes or an accessory she made it magically appear.  You can book an appointment for a full style overhaul, a special occasion (think Mother of the Bride), a custom appointment, or a quick style session.  Note that if you're a hard fit (think button up shirts, my nemesis) Nordstrom will tailor your clothing free of charge.

(That's Hayat behind me- super nice and easy to work with!)

The good news is, this was totally awesome.  The bad news was that at the end, I picked out $4,000 of things that I wanted.  I didn't get them all, but I did pick up 2 jackets, 2 blouses, and a pair of amazing dark wash jeans to pair with items I already had.  I spent more money on myself than I have ever spent, but I felt amazing in everything and picked items that worked well with lots of things, although if anyone wants to get me a present, I have some suggestions.

Hayat was great about identifying what I like and what worked well on me.  She knew colors and cuts to maximize my good parts and minimize my flaws.  I was really happy with everything, and it helped me to feel really confident this weekend.  It's weird to be the oldest young person in a room- still "young" but with older kids, and with a really strange resume.  I could have total self-confidence on my own, but I don't, so this was a great boost for me.

This is me in one of my outfits- I've just finished around 18 hours of training and an exam- but everyone kept telling me how fantastic this blue blazer was- great job Hayat! (The lady on the left was President Reagan's personal assistant after he left office, incidentally an awesome woman!)

The other great part is that once you've worked with a stylist, they know what you like and if something fantastic comes in that they know you like, or if that jacket you wanted but was out of your budget goes on sale, they'll let you know. I would totally recommend doing this for a big event, or if you're heading back to work, or if you just like to shop and would like some help identifying new trends for your wardrobe!

So.  That's my overview of working with a Nordstrom stylist.  It was awesome.  If you go, you should pick Hayat.  You should also go with a budget in mind, and be okay with the fact that you can't get everything you want, and will have to make hard choices.  They're really really good at making you look your best, so you'll want it all.  I felt really happy with myself when I was done, and that was worth both the time and the money I spent.

PS- since I've now shown you my blazers, be sure to look surprised if you show up somewhere and I'm wearing one of them, mmkay? Thanks.
_____________________________________________________
Nordstroms didn't solicit this review or pay me.  In fact, I paid them.  All opinions are my own.  I am not responsible if you look so foxy your husband takes you out or if you look so professional you get a promotion- but you could definitely thank your stylist.

No comments:

Post a Comment