1/2/15

Pineapple Muffins

Randomly, we have lots of leftover pineapple around here during the holidays.  I know that's odd, but it's just how it is.  I make several recipes that require crushed pineapple, and for whatever reason, the large cans are always on sale, so I buy those even though I probably only need a small can.  Pineapple is a great canned fruit because it's in juice and not in syrup, so I don't feel bad feeding it to the kids constantly, but sometimes you just need to change it up.

I like to keep muffins around in the freezer so that we can grab them for a quick breakfast, so I tried to Pinterest some pineapple muffins and then realized that I didn't really have what I needed for any of them, so I combined a few to work with the ingredients that I had, which actually worked out really well.

Pineapple Muffins
Preheat your oven to 350

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 container low fat vanilla yogurt
1/3 cup sour cream
1 heaping tablespoon orange zest (I used tangerine zest because that's what we had)
8 ounces of drained, crushed pineapple
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour

Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add the egg whites and beat until combined.  Add the yogurt, sour cream, orange zest, and pineapple and stir to combine.  Combine the salt, baking soda, and flour in a separate bowl, and the add to the wet mix and combine.  Pour into greased muffin tins (you can go pretty full, they don't rise much) and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment