9/29/16

Review: The Cat of Bubastes

Heirloom Audio Productions ~Cat of Bubastes

Heirloom Audio Productions has done it again with their newest CD: The Cat of Bubastes
That's right- if you're like me, you spend a lot of your life in the car.  This is due to both the number of activities that your children are enrolled in AND the fact that we live in the DMV and so our traffic is like everyone else's traffic on steroids. 
Really bad steroids that make it hulk out. 
For example, on Tuesdays we have classes at a "local" coop.  And by local I mean "also in Northern Virginia."  In the morning we leave at 8am to ensure 9:15am arrival, which gives us a small buffer before our 9:30am start time.
Sometimes I use this buffer for coffee stops, but mostly I use it for traffic.
In the afternoons on Tuesday, my son stays at coop for speech and debate.  We're there until 4:00, if I don't end up talking, which never happens, so we're there until 4:30.  Then we get on 495 express lanes (no problem!) and then we get onto I-66 towards Manassas during the 5:00pm rush hour madness.  You guys, I-66 is officially the place where your dreams of getting home go to die.  I don't care that there's an HOV lane, it's full, the speed limit signs have been changed to 35mph and we're all just going to sit here together on these lanes until such time as the gods decide we're actually allowed to arrive.
Speaking of ye gods, that brings me back to my original point (oh! there it is!).  As you may remember from our last G.A. Henty review we love audio books as a way to pass the time, and The Cat of Bubastes is a fun and exciting Egyptian adventure featuring the family of one of the priests of Ancient Egypt, a captured prince turned slave, a fat cat that might just be sacred, and an arrow gone awry.  Will the family be able to survive an unfortunate turn of events? Find out by listening!! 
This audio book, much like the others in the series, is an audio drama, which is different from a regular audio book.  You'll notice that each character is portrayed by its own actor so that your child can follow the voices, and there are lots of sound effects, as well.  There is Judeo-Christian bent to this story, as the family meets Ruth, a Hebrew who worships the one God of her people, as well as a chance run-in with Moses, so if your family is adverse to that, this is not your book. 

Here's what my kids enjoyed:

Riley (12)- "I enjoyed the historical elements of the story.  It was historical fiction, so many of the parts were true, even though the story itself was not.  My favorite part was in the end when Jethro explained how everything happens for a reason and that God set the course for their fate from the very beginning.  I didn't really not like anything." 

Logan (10)- "The Cat of Bubastes was a wonderful production.  I support it very much.  However, the ending was very corny.  Why have an ending where not even one of the important characters is lost? May I also point out that in the end the explained the entire story, but I like to explain it for myself or have a book club, and they just told you exactly everything so you don't even have to think.  I am Logan Kotlus and I approve this message."
 
Savannah (8)- "I really liked it because I liked the characters and the background music.  I didn't know some of the words and I didn't like that. That's it."

Now, we just listen to the audio adventures.  For us, that's really what we're in it for, but if you would like to go a little further, there is a study guide available! 
Heirloom Audio Productions ~Cat of Bubastes
Find out more about The Cat of Bubastes and all the other G.A. Henry books by visiting: 
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeirloomAudio
Twitter: https://twitter.com/HeirloomStories
Google+: https://plus.google.com/b/114534826166314080647/114534826166314080647 
Instagram: @HeirloomAudioOfficial 
Heirloom Audio Productions ~Cat of Bubastes
Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment