2/28/11

Who's Feeling Seuss-y?

I would like to take this opportunity to tell you all that I was reading by age 3.  This is not to brag.  It it to let you know that I'm not completely incompetent when I tell you that it is physically impossible for me to read Dr. Seuss books to my children.  In my work as a children's pastor, I've had to read names like "Methuselah" and "Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego".  Which, for the record, I can do.  But this:



"When a fox is in the bottle where the tweetle beetles battle with their paddles in a puddle on a noodle-eating poodle, THIS is what they call...
...a tweetle beetle noodle poodle bottled paddled muddled duddled fuddled wuddled fox in socks, sir!"



No.  I cannot read it in a box.  I cannot read it with that silly fox in sox. 


I mean socks.


Gah.


Which is why I am ever so glad that it is almost Read Across America Day!  Hooray!! This means some lovely, well-educated librarian can muddle through the tongue twisters while I either enjoy her suffering as much as I do or secretly curse her ability to make her tongue move that fast across words that may or may not actually be part of the English Language.


Seriously, though, my children love Dr. Seuss and whether they're making Cat in the Hat hats (see, this is Seuss tormenting me again) or dressing up for a Book Day at school, we plan to thoroughly enjoy all the Seuss we can on March 2nd, mainly because I'm not reading it myself :) Although I can handle printables, so HERE are some for you. 


Wednesday, March 2-
*Bull Run Library- 10:30am Seusstacular Storytime
*Central Community Library- Monthlong Seuss Mind Benders Contest, grades 1-5
*Chinn Park Library- 10:30am Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss Storytime
*Potomac Library- Celebrate Winter Reading with Dr. Seuss and Jan Brett at 10:30am AND 7pm 
*Lorton Library- Seuss is Loose (waiting list) 10:30am
*George Mason Library (FFX)- 7:00pm The Cat in the Hat Story time for ages 2-5


Thursday, March 3-
*Seussical- 7:00pm at Burke Presbyterian Church, Free Tickets (going fast!) by email


Friday, March 4-

* Chinn Park Library- 10:30am Super SEUSS Friday Flicks
*Seussical- 7:00pm at Burke Presbyterian Church, Free Tickets (going fast!) by email

Saturday, March 5
*Borders Books and Music- 2:00pm Seuss Reading Times and Crafts
*"The Cat in the Hat Presents STEM: What is a Scientist" free event with hands-on science and books, Canterbury Woods Community Center, 12184 Chaucer Lane, Lake Ridge VA 2:00-4:00pm
*Seussical- 7:00pm at Burke Presbyterian Church, Free Tickets (going fast!) by email

Sunday, March 6
*Seussical- 3:00pm at Burke Presbyterian Church, Free Tickets (going fast!) by email



How are you all observing Dr. Seuss' birthday? Leave me a comment and share- especially if you know of another event! I'd offer you one of our used Seuss classics as an incentive....but they're in pretty bad shape from me constantly hiding them from my children during bedtime stories :)








No comments:

Post a Comment