10/31/13

Blog: Things We've Tried This Week

(PS- this covers more than a week, but "Things We've Tried the Past Fortnight" seemed a little too formal for me!)

I am really not a ton of fun since my brain tumor.

That sucker slowed my activity level down substantially. Unfortunately, that slows down my writing, too.

I feel like we don't "go and do" as fast or as much as I used to, but we're so lucky and blessed to have people that have stepped up in my place.  My kids have enjoyed getting to try new things with new people who have offered to help our family, and that makes me so happy :) I may not always be the one taking them to do things, but I know they're having a great time, anyway!

This past weekend, my daughter was able to check out Lake Ridge Nursery's Pumpkin Patch, which is open through this evening, but will be open again next year, so no worries!  A great neighbor and her granddaughter took her.  Savannah, my daughter, loved all the bouncy houses and the racing toilets.

No joke.  They have toilets you race.

At $15 on the weekend, I consider this to be pretty pricey, but there is a lot to do, and you don't have to leave Woodbridge.  A snack (apple or ice cream cone) is included in admission.  Pumpkins are by the pound, so we usually opt to hit the grocery store and get them at a flat price.

Next, my Sister in Law came into town and we happened past Confections Cupcakery during their weekly Sunday Happy Hour, where cupcakes are $1 while supplies last.  They announce the hours on their facebook page each week, and it was 4:30 the day we went.  Some weeks, they apparently sell out before happy hour begins!  I'd been to Confections once before when they first opened, and to be honest, I wasn't super impressed.  However, I'm really glad that we went back because the cupcakes were moist and the frosting wasn't too sweet! Plus, I loved the seasonal flavors, like pumpkin spice.  I love anything pumpkin!!
Pictured: Snickers, Vanilla, Pumpkin, Cookies and Cream, Salted Caramel, Triple Chocolate, Red Velvet, Salted Caramel (take II), Lemon, Apple, Snickerdoodle, and Coconut.

If you head over for cupcake happy hour, you'll want to be sure to arrive early.  We arrived at 4:25 and there was already a line!! Also, note that it's first come, first served.  There was a very angry lady who didn't want to wait in the line and asked if she could pay full price if she could just go first, but the answer was no- so don't think you can cut the line!!

Finally, and this is going back a weekend, we were able to check out Prince William Recycles Day, which was really really cool.  I'll do a separate post just on that, but I wanted to mention that the Prince William Landfill facility is really neat!! They offer bus tours (and when you're a homeschooler that would be a walker, getting on a bus is a big freakin deal!) of the facility, and we learned a lot! First, we learned that the landfill uses pipes to extract methane gas from the trash, which it turns into energy in an on-site power plant.  We also learned that using various recycling and junk programs, the landfill has drastically reduced the amount of waste that actually goes into the ground.  The tour was really  neat- and with good reason, apparently people come from all over the world to tour our landfill! Who knew! Field trips are available.


1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to check out Prince William Recycles day next year! I saw it on the calendar but had a party already planned. I'll look out for the separate post:0)

    ReplyDelete