3/13/14

30 Acts of Kindness Task 13: ACTS Thrift Shop

During February, I'm celebrating my 30th Birthday with 30 Acts of Kindness suggested by readers The point of these posts isn't to "brag" about what I've been doing, but rather to raise awareness about different organizations in Prince William County and share how you and your family can get involved in making our area a better place to live.  If you'd like to join me in any of my assignments, or if you participate in one on your own, I'd love to get your picture and/or story to share!! I'd love to think this is making a difference, and I hope that you'll join me!  

I feel like I owe ACTS another day of Thrift Shop work- I ran late in traffic and arrived 20 minutes after I should have and then I had to duck out early because my son had a hockey tournament in York, PA and we were told that we should leave extra travel time.  I actually really liked working at the thrift store- first because I had a few readers join me and it's always so cool to chat with you guys, and second because we got to organize books, which I loved! I really like jobs where I can see that I'm accomplishing something, so watching books and boxes and bags get emptied out was really satisfying! 

The ACTS Thrift Store is located at the Route 1 split in Dumfries and staffed by the lovely people in red vests. 
You can donate, shop, and volunteer at the Thrift Store.  I'm going to tell you right now- they had amazing prices!! There was a special sale the day we were there, so books (normally 5 for $1) were 10 for $1! People got hardcover collectors books, the entire Twilight Series, 50 Shades of Grey, The Help, and more! Kids books were 5 CENTS EACH, and there were tons of nice books! I saw people snag Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, unopened Sesame Street and Dora music books, and more! I didn't spend a lot of time in the clothes, but I did notice some really nice work shirts if your husband has to wear a button-down for his job. 

Donation Hours:

Tuesday – Friday: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Retail Hours:

Monday – Friday: 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.

To volunteer, contact Robin at rsheedy@actspwc.org.  This work can involve some lifting/moving, so it's best suited for older teens and adults- but it really was satisfying work! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment