3/1/16

Dinner Idea: Make Your Own Pita Bar

We had our first blissfully lovely day outside on the 22nd, and after finishing all of our "required" items for the day, we all just wanted to soak in the outdoors as much as possible.  I didn't want to tell anyone to stop playing (including myself) so I set up a dinner that everyone could fix when/if they felt like it.

This super easy pita bar pretty much makes itself.  Stir up the tzatziki sauce earlier in the day, throw the chicken in the crock pot, and you're good to go! You obviously wouldn't want to leave this out for hours upon hours (unless you've got ice under your chicken and your tzatziki) but it'll sit out nicely while people wander in to eat as they start to feel their tummy rumble.

Setup: Bowls of tzatziki, chopped tomato, diced cucumber, shredded lettuce, shredded Greek slow cooker chicken, and kalamata olives (not pictured because I'm the only one that eats them).  Feta cheese crumbles would be delicious, too.

For the chicken, I put a package of chicken tenders in the slow cooker along with some Pampered Chef Greek Rub (#NotSponsored) and the juice of a lemon.  Once they were cooked and falling apart, I shredded them.
My tzatziki recipe is mostly by taste, but I've estimated it here for you:
2 cups of Greek Yogurt (any type will do)
1 heaping teaspoon of garlic powder (this is why it needs to sit, you can also use 3-4 cloves fresh)
1/2 a seedless (English) cucumber, shredded, pour off the juice but don't squeeze
2-3 tablespoons of dried dill
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/2 teaspoon of salt
a few shakes of black pepper

I like to let this sit at least a few hours, but it gets better overnight.  If you use fresh garlic and dill it will need to sit less, but I never have fresh dill, and I like not getting chunks of garlic, so I use powdered.  Your call :)

For the pitas, I like to preheat the oven to 200 degrees, turn it off, and place a packet of pitas wrapped in foil in the oven.  Then they're warm pretty much whenever people want to grab one.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment