7/23/12

Guest Post: When You Get, Give


“When You Get, Give”
Guest Post by: Sherri Gray, Certified Personal Finance Counselor®

In a previous post, I talked about couponing. I love to coupon now. Getting discounts on products that I used to pay full price for is amazing. It makes me wonder now why I ever paid full price for razors, toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, nail polish, paper towels, bathroom tissue, cleansers, soap, snacks, cereal, detergent, pasta, etc. You get the point.

Unfortunately, I don’t always get the deals that I want because some consumers choose to ‘clear the shelves’ instead of leaving product behind for others or the store doesn’t have enough in stock to begin with. Missing out on deals can be frustrating but it won't deter me from trying to get more deals as every dollar I save is a dollar my family can keep in its pocket.

Because of couponing, I’ve purchased products at drastically reduced prices and have even gotten some products for free. As I started building my stockpile of products, I realized that I was accumulating multiples of certain items and even acquired items that I wouldn’t normally use, because I got them for free.

It got me to thinking. There’s a residual effect to couponing that I hadn’t realized before. Not only can I get great deals on products for my family but I can give away my excess products to those who really need them.

So, I decided to start giving away some of the products that I’ve accumulated to non-profit organizations and food pantries who can distribute the products to families who need them. I’ve also given items to families who are struggling financially.

Maya Angelou said “When you learn, teach. When you get, give.” I’ve learned that even though I’m on a tight budget, when I get something, it’s my responsibility to give. And you can do the same. There are several resources available to get you started with donating through couponing.


For manufacturer coupons, check your Sunday newspaper or print online coupons at www.coupons.com, www.redplum.com, www.smartsource.com, or http://coupons.target.com, just to name a few. There are also a variety of retailers that have their own in store coupons which can be used in conjunction with manufacturer coupons for additional savings.

You can also donate expired coupons to troops overseas that can use coupons in overseas commissaries for up to 6 months after the expiration date. This is another way to give, especially to the men and women who serve our country. Happy Couponing!

Find more ways to save money by going to The Money Mom website at www.themoneymom.org or following The Money Mom Deals Blog at http://themoneymomdeals.blogspot.com/. For more tips on couponing, listen to my April 10 Blog Talk Radio Show, featuring Extreme Couponer Janelle Bowles, at www.blogtalkradio.com/themoneymom

No comments:

Post a Comment