9/5/12

Smiley Face Pizzas

As I shared a few weeks ago, I'm on a constant hunt for easy-to-eat foods for our co-op days.  We tried out corn dog muffins, which were a hit with my kids, so I thought I'd switch it up for some vegetarian fare this time!

So pizza.  Pretty easy.  Easier than rotating pictures in your blog posts.  True story.  For these, we used whole wheat mini pitas as our base, leftover spaghetti sauce as our sauce, some part-skim mozzarella, and some bell peppers.  My kids adore bell peppers, and snack on the red ones whenever they can get their hands on them.  
I used the wrong end of a piping tip to cut circles, but a small cookie cutter or even a knife would help you get shapes just as well.  You could use other veggies, too, to make your faces, but we had bell peppers, sooooo....we just went with it. 
This one isn't rocket science.  Place a mini pita on the pan, add sauce to your liking (I let the kids make their own, so you'll notice various levels of sauce and cheese application) and then funny face it up! Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese melts, but do not over bake or the pitas will become too crunchy to be enjoyable.

These were a big hit for us.  We baked them the day before and ate them room temperature at CC for lunch.  The kids thought they were great, and didn't mind that they weren't hot.  My 8 year old ate two, but one was enough for each of the others.

Smiley Face Pizzas
4 Whole Wheat Mini Pitas
1/2 Cup Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
1/2 Cup Marina or Pizza Sauce
Vegetables to top

No comments:

Post a Comment