1/2/16

New Years Resolution 2016

I have given up on being skinny, y'all.  I lack the willpower to live off of caffeine and dreams, and that whole "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" thing? Obviously that person never learned to cook because I can give you a list of things that taste that good. I did 21 Day Fix, which I loved, and I felt really good and I did lose some inches, but I didn't lose a single pound.

Not one.

And that was incredibly hard on me! Don't I just want to be healthy? No- I just want the scale to say that I'm worth living.

So this year, I'm going to work on changing that.  I am not going to define my self-worth with a number on a piece of battery-operated plastic.  Instead, I am going to answer the question about "Just wanting to be healthy" with a yes.  Yes, I just want to be healthy.  So I'm going to run.  Before I got sick I ran the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler, and I'd like to get back to that, but I get wicked headaches now from my brain surgery, so I want to set myself up for success and not failure, so my goal is a 5k every month in 2016.  I don't have to get a certain time, I don't have to come in a certain place, I just have to run because I want to be healthy.

(And by "run" I mean "go".  My current "run" pace is some people's "walking" pace. That's fine.)

When I brought this topic up on Facebook, a lot of you expressed similar goals- whether you want to start walking, jogging, try a 5k, or you actually do want to lose some weight or whatever.

(I think you're just fine how you are, btw.  I've never known you any other way than the way you are right now and I accept you just like you are.  In case you don't have anyone else in your life to tell you that, let me be the first.)

However, if you wanna come out and "go" the course with us, I'd love company.  Here's the schedule for 2016, subject to change, especially since the race calendars I'm finding don't necessarily have commitments for farther out in the year:

The Tour de PWCMoms 2016 Race Planner
January: January 17, 2016 Celebrate Community 5k (Alexandria)
February: February 14, 2016 Run Your Heart Out (Fairfax)
March: March 12, 2016 Lucky Leprechaun 5k (Reston)
April: April 10, 2016 Heroes vs. Villains 5k (Fairfax) Family Friendly, kids run, family activities
May: May 1, 2016 Race for Hope DC (DC)
June: June 11, 2016 Twilight Festival (Ashburn) stroller friendly course with food/fun/moonbounces.
July: July 4, 2016 Firecracker 5k (Manassas) 
August: Date TBD Hoping they'll host the Starlight Run again in Triangle.
September: September 10, 2016 The Color Vibe 5k (Manassas)
October: Date TBD, again, hopeful they'll repeat the Columbus Day run at Leesylvania
November: November 24, 2016 Turkey Trot (Manassas)
December: December 31 Festival of Lights 5k (Centreville)

If you're looking for people to run with, a shoutout to Lake Ridge RidgeRunners and Moms Run this Town Manassas/PWC 

Annnnd....I think that's it.  To recap, you rock just the way you are, the goal for me this year is not to think my self-worth is defined by my scale, and we're gonna do some 5ks. Come if you want, I'd love to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment