2/10/12

Featured Organization Friday: Amazima Ministries

In a conscious effort to use my "blogging powers" for good, I'm going to be featuring a new charity or non profit organization each Friday.  If you're interested, please email me, and we'll get you on the schedule.  This isn't a way to separate you from your money, or to make you feel guilty or obligated, it's simply another way for me to disseminate information about great organizations.



I have a problem.  You may have it, too, if you've lived in this area as long as I have.  Being a Northern-Virginia native, I have the best friends in the entire world.

Until they leave me 2 years later.

You military people.  You make me crazy!! The good news is, however, that the internet lets us keep in touch, and I have a free place to stay in 3/4 of the United States and a solid 1/3 of the world.  Probably closer to 2/3 if you eliminate the hostile nations.

This is my amazing (Marine Corps) friend Lindsay:
  (She's the cute one.  She lets me stand next to her sometimes.)

During the last year, I've gotten to experience Lindsay's adoption experience as she shared with me the joys and frustrations of adopting her new son, Philip from Ethiopia.  He joins Lindsay's two step children and her son Noah.  He is, by far, the cutest child I've ever seen in my life.  Ever.

Partially because her son is so incredibly adorable, partially because it's not fair that every kid in the world doesn't have someone to love them the way most of our kids are loved, and partially because she is CRAZY, Lindsay has joined with a fantastic group of women to help orphans overseas.

Check this group out- they look like a good time!

Now, a group of women helping kids is nothing crazy.  This particular group, however, and I mean this in the nicest way humanly possible, is taking on the crazy task of helping by running 200 Miles.  

Yeah, I said 200.

Lindsay and five friends are running the Palmetto200 relay race (covering over 200 miles) on April 13-14. Each runner will cover about 33 miles of the race from Cayce, SC (near Columbia) to James Island (just outside of historic Charleston). As part of the race, they are raising money for Amazima Ministries – a wonderful organization that works with orphaned children and the most vulnerable in Uganda by providing education, food, vocational outreach, discipleship and medical care. 

The ladies' goal is to raise $2000 for their work, and they are seeking “sponsors” to help reach this goal.  

Says Lindsay: "You can sponsor us by the mile, by the number of runners, or by any other amount you feel called to contribute. No amount is too small, and each dollar will go directly toward making a huge impact in the lives of the neediest in Uganda. If you are able to sponsor our team in any way, please send your check or money order directly to me so that I can collect all the money and send it in together. My address is: 254 Mimosa Drive, Sneads Ferry, NC 28460. Checks should be made out to Amazima Ministries International. All donations are tax-deductible, so write your email address on the check so that Amazima can email you a receipt."

In addition to knowing one of the women in this group, I was particularly excited to start with this cause, because there is really nothing more inspiring to me than a group of moms working towards a goal.  Except maybe a group of moms working toward a goal that involves them running 33 miles.  If Amazima Ministries speaks to your interests, or if you'd like to support an awesome group of women, please consider supporting this effort.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Next Week: Eme's Army
________________________________________________________________________________

Disclaimer: PwcMoms.com is not affiliated with any charitable organization and makes no claims about this particular organization.  Before donating to any group or organization, due diligence should be performed regarding the mission, message, and financial stability of the group.  This is not an endorsement of the organization mentioned, or any other organization and is strictly for informational purposes.  PwcMoms does not receive financial backing, or have the endorsement of the organization mentioned in this article.  Individuals are responsible for their own decisions made based on this information. 


No comments:

Post a Comment